Release 0.4.1 + 0.4.2

This is the final iteration for DPS909. 

For part 1 and 2 of this last deliverable, I wanted to apply tools that I've learned in the second half of this class.

In my previous labs we learned to use code formatters, linters and also used tools to test our code. 

I wanted to translate the tools that we recently learned to use, I chose to work on dev-jot as there was many tools that could still be added to the project. 

Although this felt similar to my previous labs, I'm still not too accustomed with visual studio code & javascript. I still managed to learn quite a bit. 

1. Using the terminal IN visual code is EXTREMELY helpful, instead of having to tab between my windows command line & vs code. 

2. VS code is a very friendly platform to implement/add plugins. 

3. Understood the package.json nomenclature slightly better. 

For this lab for formatting and linting, I used ESlint and prettier. This was fun for me as when working on telescope with my first PR I had issues with formatting, at that time I didn't know what prettier did so I was blindly calling it. Setting up the environment for prettier gave me a better understanding on how it worked. I was slightly confused with the setup as when I was watching tutorials there was a dependency related to "airbnb" and I was confused to as why it was there. 

Once I realized that this was an open source code template from airbnb, I found it very cool as I never thought I would be using "code" from such a big company(although the whole idea for open source is for the community to make code greater). 

For the second part of this deliverable I used jest, unlike prettier/eslint this was totally new to me. As mentioned before, I'm not too familiar with javascript. I managed to setup the testing environment but unfortunately couldn't find myself to create complicated test cases. 

When trying to run my tests I kept having syntax errors, that was somewhat annoying to fix as the error messages weren't super transparent. 


My first PR can be found here : https://github.com/jrobind/dev-jot/pull/51

My second PR can be found here : https://github.com/jrobind/dev-jot/pull/52




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Improving Others Code !

Intro Blog

Release 2.3